Home - VIS Vatican - Receive VIS - Contact us - Calendar

The Vatican Information Service is a news service, founded in the Holy See Press Office, that provides information about the Magisterium and the pastoral activities of the Holy Father and the Roman Curia...[]

Last 5 news

VISnews in Twitter Go to YouTube

Wednesday, June 2, 2004

POPE GREETS ITALIANS ON THEIR NATIONAL HOLIDAY


VATICAN CITY, JUN 2, 2004 (VIS) - In multi-language greetings following the catechesis of this morning's general audience, which took place in St. Peter's Square, Pope John Paul had special words for a group of his fellow Poles, and he also addressed Italians on the occasion of the national day of the Republic.

  Greeting the Polish pilgrims, he thanked in particular a group from Shupsk "for their benevolence and for having given me the title of 'honorary citizen'. I want to repay this good will with my prayers. I also want to greet a group, including their president, from the Podhale Association of Chicago on the occasion of its 75th anniversary. I thank you for your commitment for safeguarding the Christian roots of the culture and Polish traditions among immigrants in America.

  "Today" he continued, "is the 25th anniversary of the day on which for the first time as Pope I kissed my native soil. I always return in my thoughts to those days and I thank God for the breath of the Holy Spirit that crossed that land and caused such a profound change. May God bless our fatherland and all Poles. May God bless you!"

  Noting that today is the national day of the Republic in Italy the Pope saluted "all Italians and their leaders. I hope that Italy, thanks to the responsible contribution of the various social realities and of every citizen, and remaining anchored in the great values that are at the basis of its culture, art and religious tradition, may know a future of hope, open to harmony, internal cohesion and solidarity."
AG/GREETINGS/...                        VIS  040602 (280)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © VIS - Vatican Information Service